Preventing Electrical Fires In Your Business
Over 25,000 electrical fires happen right here in the United States every year, and fire damage can often be extremely damaging to a business. Damage can be sustained both from the actual event and the water that is used for the firefighting efforts, as well. As a smart business owner, we know you want to prevent this kind of disaster from occurring to your organization, so today we want to share some simple steps with you that you can take to prevent these electrical fires from happening in your business:
Inspection. One of the most important steps you can take is to have your business inspected for any hazardous situations that could cause a fire. A licensed electrician can help to keep you, your employees, and your property safe by letting you know what needs to be done after a thorough assessment. One example is to replace wiring in an older building; wiring is not made to last forever.
Cords and Plugs. A very common cause of electrical fires is an electrical cord, plug, or outlet damage. If these items are found to be tattered or frayed, worn out or showing burn signs, they should be replaced immediately. Cords in poor condition can overheat or cause a spark, which can lead to a full-blown fire. Replacing damaged cords is a simple and relatively inexpensive safeguard against electrical fires and can even be purchased for appliances separately if any are in poor condition.
Outlets. Take steps to avoid overloading your outlets. Overburdened sockets are another risk factor for an electrical fire. The United States Fire Administration recommends that you buy power strips equipped with internal overload protection; this feature will ensure that a strip shuts off its power supply as soon as it becomes overloaded, helping prevent fire damage.
Space heaters. Any appliance that plugs in can be dangerous if not used carefully. Flammable materials such as paper, cardboard, coats, and rugs, need to be watched and kept away from any equipment that produces heat or can overheat.
Wiring. Faulty wiring is yet another hazard, and if a flickering lamp or sparking outlet is something you are experiencing, contact a licensed electrician your area to make the necessary repairs. If anything that conducts electricity feels warm to the touch, have your electrician check it out to see if it needs to be replaced.
Just a few minutes of time, a few preventive measures, and a few dollars to replace items that could be dangerous can save lives and property, as well as save you from expensive fire damage clean up. If your business suffers from water or fire damage, remember that the SERVPRO of Lansdale, Warminster, Blue Bell and Abington Jenkintown team is ready to help any hour of the day or night.